Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Red Queen's Daughter

The Red Queen's DaughterThe Red Queen's Daughter by Jacqueline Kolosov

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


The Red Queen is Katherine Parr, sixth wife of Henry VII, who survived him and later married and had a daughter Mary. The story is narrated by Mary and chronicles her (Mary's) training in white magic and then employment as a Lady-in-Waiting by Elizabeth I.

This interesting story moves slowly, because the author has packed it full of details about Elizabeth I's court, from the convoluted relationships of various courtiers to how the elaborate clothing was taken care of. I happen to enjoy that kind of book, but that's me.

The magic seems a little more iffy. Mostly, we are told "And she told me to figure it out for myself", and remarkably Mary jumps right in and, except for a case early on, has no problems.

Task 30.7 B



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment