Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Historical fiction from women's point of View.

Dreamers of the Day: A Novel Dreamers of the Day: A Novel by Mary Doria Russell


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This is a great book about World War I, the 1918-19 flu epidemic, the Middle East during 1920s, Lawrence of Arabia, Gertrude Bell, and Winston Churchill, and any number of asides, told from a fictional character's view. I loved it.

View all my reviews >>

Homeland by Barbara Hambly.
I really liked this book (4.5 stars). It is told through letters between two women, one a young married woman living on an island in Maine, whose husband is in the Confederate army, and the other a young artist living (at least in the beginning) in Tennessee. They exchange ideas about everything from the war and family, slavery and freedom, the value of reading fiction, woman's "place" and women's daily reality. I think it would make a great reader's theater presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment